The Church was built between 1714-29 at a cost of £18,557.
The church was gutted by an incendiary bomb in 1941, but the walls and distinctive ‘pepper-pot’ towers stayed up.
In 1964 a modern church designed by Ansell & Bailey was constructed inside the existing walls, and a new flat built under each corner tower.
The churchyard garden’s Cable Street entrance is now decorated with a mural. It depicts the famous Battle of Cable Street (1936), when East End residents fought police to stop Mosley’s fascists marching through their neighbourhood.